Seagulls Swimming Club are proud to be a SwimMark accredited club.
SwimMark is the ASA Club Development model, planning tool based on the principles of Long Term Athlete Development, enabling clubs to help athletes, teachers, coaches and administrators to achieve their full potential. It focuses particularly on the needs of the athletes – striving to provide the best possible support environment. SwimMark is not just endorsed by the ASA but also by Sport England. SwimMark Accreditation includes Sport England Clubmark, a kite mark set across all sports.
What is Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD)?
Long Term Athlete Development is about achieving optimal training, competition and recovery throughout an athlete’s career, particularly in relation to the important growth and development years of young people.
Who can apply?
SwimMark Accreditation is available to ASA clubs of any aquatic discipline – diving, swimming, synchro or water polo. Each club is encouraged to sign up to SwimMark and are positioned at one or more of the 4 areas:
- Teaching – where the emphasis is on quality teaching using a multi skill approach, underpinned by sound governance.
- Skill Development – where the athletes develop their technical skill within a quality programme of coaching and competition, supported by sound governance.
- Competitive Development – where, supported by sound governance, athletes are part of a quality training and development programme, which consistently enables athletes to compete successfully at regional and national levels.
- Performance – where athletes can access training and support services in a performance development environment that is focussed and coach driven and supported by sound governance.
How do I know if I am at an accredited club?
All clubs who have achieved SwimMark are allowed to use the SwimMark logo on their letterheads, promotional material, and website. They also receive a certificate from the Amateur Swimming Association (ASA) to display at their training venue in order to promote their achievement. For Seagulls Swimming Club this information is available on our club noticeboard at Two Riversmeet.
What are the benefits of Seagulls Swimming Club being a SwimMark club?
- The club is implementing the ASA Child Protection policy and the coaches/teachers and volunteers have been DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) checked in line with national guidance.
- The club’s coaches, teachers and volunteers are appropriately qualified and access continuous professional development to ensure they are up to date with current teaching and coaching principles and methods.
- The club is accessing sufficient pool time to ensure swimmers are able to develop in line with the Long Term Athlete Development model.
- The club is pro-active in developing a swimmer pathway to ensure swimmers can continue to progress and develop.
- The club will have more opportunities to access additional funding through the ASA, Sport England and other agencies.