Youth squad offers swimmers the opportunity to compete at County, Regional or National level competition, training with peers that have similar expectations. Swimmers following physical maturation will train towards specific events and distances.
Squad Entrance Criteria
The typical age of swimmers in this squad are between 13 and 18 years.
Swimmers must be able to:
- Complete a 30x100m set off an interval of 90 seconds.
- Demonstrate efficient race technique in all events including the transition from the wall to the first stroke on starts and turns.
- Perform a training set collecting data from time, distance from the walls on a starts and turns along with stroke counting.
- Analyse performance through race section time, distance, stroke counting, stroke rates, application of technique, nutrition, hydration, lifestyle and rest.
To promote strengths and improve on weaknesses by individuals making correct decisions in training and lifestyles in order to perform at regional or national level competition, whilst maintaining educational ambitions.
Swimmers motivation will come from achieving process goals through skills, tactics, lifestyle, physical and mental attributes as discussed with their coach in order to improve performance.
Swimmers by priority at National, Regional finalist, Regional level will be offered additional training on Wednesdays with further individually focused goal setting conducted with the coach.
Opportunities to train in England Talent Programmes, weekly Beacon sessions and training with other national level swim squads will be available in consultation with the coach.
Swimmers will progress into performance programmes typically after further education. Swimmers who are at a high level can continue with Seagulls Youth squad. Alternatively, if swimmers still enjoy competing for their club, but cannot maintain commitment to the squad they may join the Seagulls Swim Fit or Masters squads.
- Drinks bottle x2 (min 1 litre).
- Swimming flippers.
- Hand paddles.
- Goggles x2.
- Childs Pull-buoy.
- Finis snorkel.
- Rubber band to go around ankles.
- Clothes and trainers, occasionally.
- Skipping rope.
- Correct sports trainers, shorts, t-shirt and hoodie.
- Weight training gloves
Competitions Throughout The Season
Individual Performances All ages
- Club Championships (typically Sept – Dec).
- County Championships (Feb, March)
- Regional Championships (Apr, May)
- National Championships (July, Aug)
- Open Meets (Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, Apr, May)
Team Inter-Club Gala’s
- National Arena League (September – December)
All squad fees can be found on our Membership Fees page.
Squad Training Calendar
|Two Riversmeet||New Milton||Lymington||Ferndown|
Swimmers are encouraged to arrive at poolside 5 minutes before the scheduled session start time, and to engage in poolside warm up and stretching exercises.
All of our squad training timetables are available via public Google calendars. This allows you to subscribe to your individual squads training calendar via your existing Google account and/or via your mobile device. So that’s one less excuse for missing a session!
How do I do that?
If you have an iPhone or iPad.
- Navigate to Settings ⇒ Mail, Contacts, Calendars ⇒ Add Account.
- Select Other ⇒ Add CalDAV Account or Add Subscribed Calendar.
- Enter the required calendar address and touch Next.
- Touch Save.
If you have a Google account.
- Point your browser to https://www.google.com/calendar.
- Under the “Other calendars” widget on the left, click the small downward pointing arrow, and then “Add by URL”.
- Enter the address of the squad you want to subscribe to and click the “Add Calendar” button.
With any luck you should see the calendar in your Google “Other calendars” now.
To add your “Other calendars” to your iPhone or iPad, simply browse to https://www.google.com/calendar/iphoneselect and select the calendars you want to see on your iDevice. Give it a minute to sync and you’ll be all set.
Please consult your mobile device operating manual if you experience difficulties in subscribing to our squad calendars.